View All Posts

Jun 30

Planning and Zoning: Sidewalks and Curb Cuts

Posted on June 30, 2020 at 8:19 AM by Public Affairs

This is the sixth and final installment in a series of articles from the City of Roswell Community Development Department discussing permitting and other requirements related to various projects homeowners/residents may do on their homes and property.

Before cutting a curb, installing or replacing a sidewalk or drivepad in the city’s right-of-way, visit the city’s Planning and Zoning Office for a permit. Permits cost $10. Projects require an inspection by the city’s construction inspector prior to the concrete pour. Please provide time for the permitting process before beginning your project.

In order for staff to assist you with a site plan and expedite the permitting process, bring the following items with you to the Planning and Zoning Office:

  • Property address.
  • Boundary survey for the property (if you already have one).
  • Location of utilities (Underground: water line, sewer line, gas meter/gas line, phone/cable, electric. Overhead: electric.)
  • $10 (exact cash or check)
  • Also, make sure the property and alley are free of weeds, trash and debris before staff members conduct site visits and/or inspections.

It is a requirement to call 811 for utility locates before you dig. There is no charge for 811 service. Utilities will mark the location of gas lines, phone and telecommunications cables, underground electric, water and sewer.

Please note that any portion of the city’s right-of-way that is used for a drive entrance or drivepad requires 6-inch-deep concrete. This includes the area of sidewalk in the drivepad area. Sidewalks not in the drivepad area may be 4-inch-deep concrete. Sidewalks on local streets are required to be a width of 5 feet. Sidewalks on collector and arterial streets may be required to be 8 feet wide. Curb cuts for drive entrances must be a minimum of 2 feet from the neighboring property line. Projects on corner lots require review and approval by the city engineer.

To obtain a permit for a curb cut, sidewalk, drivepad or any work in the city’s right-of-way,

visit (415 N. Richardson Ave.) either of these two Community Development Planning and Zoning representatives:

--Miguel Martinez, Planning and Zoning Technician, (575) 637-6218,

--Merideth Hildreth, Planning and Zoning Administrator (575) 637-6294,

More information can be found in the City of Roswell’s Public Works Specifications. See Article IV: Standard Specifications for Sidewalk, Fillet and Drivepad Construction for guidelines and requirements.