View All Posts

Jun 30

Planning and Zoning: Fences and Walls

Posted on June 30, 2020 at 8:13 AM by Public Affairs

This is the first in a series of articles from the City of Roswell Community Development Department discussing permitting and other requirements related to various projects homeowners/residents may do on their homes and property.

Before installing a new fence or wall or replacing on old one, visit the city’s Planning and Zoning Office. All residential and non-residential fences and walls require a permit. Fences less than 7 feet tall require a placement permit (no fee) and fences 7 feet tall or taller require a building permit (fee based on project cost).

At this time, front-yard perimeter fences and walls may be up to 4 feet tall. Fences may be placed on the property line, but are not allowed in the city’s right-of-way. Corner lots require additional review by the city engineer to ensure a “clear-site triangle” at intersections and alleys.
Contractors installing fences are required to have a State of New Mexico contractor’s license and city business license.

In order for staff to assist you with a site plan and expedite the permitting process, bring the following items with you to the Planning and Zoning Office:

Property address (or the closest address if the property does not have an address).
Boundary survey for the property (if you already have one).
It is helpful if you know the location of your property’s corner markers.
Also, make sure the property and alley are free of weeds, trash and debris before staff members conduct site visits and/or inspections.

It is a requirement to call 811 for utility locates before you dig. There is no charge for 811 service. Utilities will mark the location of gas lines, phone and telecommunications cables, underground electric, water and sewer. Staff may check placement of stakes or string marking the fence line prior to construction.

Fences and walls constructed without a permit are subject to review and possible removal if in violation of the Zoning Ordinance, are located in the city’s right-of-way or an easement, or obstruct a clear-site triangle and create a hazardous condition. Dilapidated and derelict fences are also subject to enforcement by Community Development officers.

For questions about permitting requirements for fences, contact or visit (415 N. Richardson Ave.) either of these two Community Development Planning and Zoning representatives:

--Miguel Martinez, Planning and Zoning Technician, (575) 637-6218,

--Merideth Hildreth, Planning and Zoning Administrator (575) 637-6294,

Guidelines for fence projects are contained in the City of Roswell’s Zoning Ordinance in the Article pertaining to Building and Performance Standards (see Section 8).