Fare, Token, and Monthly and Annual Pass Information

ClassificationCash Price10 Tokens*Monthly Pass*Annual Pass*
U.S. Veteran or Child < 5FreeN/AN/AN/A
Child < 19 or Student$0.50$4.50$18.00$200.00
Senior > 59 or Disabled$0.35$3.00$10.00$100.00
Adult 19-59$0.75$6.75$27.00$300.00

* Bus passes and token packs are available at the Roswell Transit administration office, located on the second floor at 515 N. Main Street. Call 575-624-6766 for information.

Please have your fare, token, or pass ready prior to boarding. Exact fare, please. For security reasons, drivers do not carry change. Fare boxes accept dollar bills but no change is returned. No money is kept in the Dispatcher's Office. Change can be obtained upstairs in the Roswell Transit administration office.


If you will need to change buses in order to reach your destination, please ask the driver of your first bus for a Transfer before taking your seat. The Transfer allows a rider to continue a trip using a second bus without paying a second fare. Riders with monthly or annual passes do not need transfers.

Transfers are only issued by request and only during boarding. Transfers are valid only to complete a one-way trip requiring multiple busses within the system. The transfer must be presented to the driver of the subsequent bus.

Only transfers with the proper code, color and letter of the day will be accepted. Mutilated transfers will not be accepted.

U.S. Veteran Information

Thanks to funding from the Chaves County Health Council, U.S. Veterans may use Roswell Transit’s services free of charge with proof of military service. For Veterans whose proof of service is a paper form rather than a military or VA card, simply bring the form to the administrative office at Roswell Transit and we will create a free Roswell Transit Veteran ID card for you.

Disabled passenger information

Passengers with disabilities can receive Photo ID cards at no charge upstairs in the Roswell Transit administration office. To obtain the card, you must provide some other form of Photo ID and either:

  • A copy of a recent Social Security award letter OR
  • A letter from a health care professional stating that you are unable to drive. 

You must show the Disabled Passenger photo ID in order to pay the reduced fare, or to use a Yellow token or a Yellow monthly pass.