- City Government
- Public Safety
- Emergency Management
To provide a comprehensive and integrated emergency management system that coordinates community resources to protect lives, property and the environment through mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery from all natural and man-made hazards that may impact our county.
You can read the complete Chaves County Hazard Mitigation Plan, which covers the jurisdictions of Chaves County, City of Roswell, Town of Dexter, Town of Hagerman and Town of Lake Arthur.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate Emergency Management activities for Roswell/Chaves County including Dexter, Hagerman and Lake Arthur.
- Maintain and update the county's Emergency Operations Plan, Hazard Mitigation Plan and Hazards Vulnerability Analysis.
- Activate and staff the county Emergency Operations Center.
- Work with other county, city, town, departments, agencies and task force elements to develop a variety of related emergency plans, procedures and guidelines.
- Coordinate for local, state and federal government response and recovery operations during a major emergency or disaster.
- Maintain and operate the counties fixed - site and mobile Emergency Operations Center.
- Conduct community education in Chaves County to educate citizens of their ongoing role in preparing for emergencies through education, community outreach and training.
- Monitor severe weather watches, warnings and special statements issued by the National Weather Service and provide this information to other local government departments including public safety and public works agencies.
- Chair the Local Emergency Planning Committee.
- Provide assistance and support to all public safety agencies, government entities and private sector partners through planning, training and exercising.
- Coordinate resource support to tactical response units and on scene Incident Commanders.
- Provide Continuity of Operations Planning information and guidance.
- Administers homeland security grant distribution for Roswell, Chaves County, Dexter, Hagerman and Lake Arthur.
- Maintain outdoor warning sirens, which are checked the first Monday of the month at noon.
Learn about the outdoor warning sirens
City of Roswell 425 N Richardson Roswell, NM 88201
Phone: 575-624-6700 | Email Us