What is Public Affairs?
The Public Affairs Department handles multiple functions that promote the tourists and other visitors as a destination management organization (DMO), while also communicating with local residents and media. The department creates and carries out tourism marketing strategies, while handling its own budget and the marketing/advertising budgets of other city departments.
The department shares information on a wide variety of topics with citizens through traditional media, this website and social media channels. The department also manages the lodgers’ tax system for the city, arranges and manages special events and handles contracts with community partners.
In addition, the department serves as a liaison for other city departments to coordinate and distribute public information. The Public Affairs director serves as the liaison to the New Mexico Film Office.
Roles & Responsibilities
The primary roles of the Director of Public Affairs are to promote Roswell as a travel and professional business meeting destination and work with Public Affairs staff and advertising agencies to develop promotional materials and marketing strategies that attract visitors from around the world and that encourage overnight lodging.
Marketing strategies developed include, but are not limited to:
- Media placement
- Public relations activities
- Tourism event coordination and promotion
- Marketing tools and promotional collateral distributed via the Visitors Bureau (i.e. visitor brochures, videos, maps, etc). and other city departments.
City Department and Enrichment Services Liaison
Under supervision of the City Manager, the Director of Public Affairs serves as a liaison to the various City departments and Enrichment Services to coordinate information needed by the public regarding City projects and events in the form of news/press releases, public service announcements, presentations and proclamations.
New Mexico Film Office Partnership
The Director of Public Affairs also serves as the liaison to the New Mexico Film Office (NMFO) to work with filmmakers to coordinate locations, site selections, casting calls, equipment, permitting and promote Roswell tourism assets. To view the City of Roswell's filming procedures and to fill out a filming permit click here.
All Endorsed NM Film Office Liaisons follow a State Code of Conduct and work diligently to provide the following to the NMFO:
- Core services to the film industry and NMFO (without a fee) which include:
- Making suggestions for appropriate location choices
- Gaining permission to scout, and preliminary permission to shoot locations
- Providing location photos
- Arranging site visits, including transportation, hotels, meals. making referrals to appropriate businesses e.g. hotels, office spaces, vendors, etc.
- Functioning as the liaison between community and company including familiarity with and/or coordination of required permits for filming activities
- Liaison with local government officials, e.g. parks department, parking, fire, police, etc
- All inquiries regarding the incentives available through the State of New Mexico;
- All media inquiries which will be coordinated and approved by NMFO Director to keep with industry standards regarding client confidentiality; and data and statistics including number of local hires, number of production days, and expenditures made within the state, from small productions and commercials shooting in the Liaison’s jurisdiction. For more information about the NMFO or the State Liaison Network visit their website.