Planning and Zoning
Planning and Zoning issues permits for several different types of projects. Browse the list of permit forms available. For any assistance with obtaining a permit contact the Community Development office.
When a Permit is Required
Are you thinking about replacing your fence, installing a storage shed, building a carport, or widening your driveway? If so, and you live in the city, you likely need to obtain a permit. Please learn more about when a permit is required
You can find more information about permitting and other requirements for specific projects by reading the articles in the Community Development "Proper Permitting and Planning" series.
- Fencing Permit : Complete this form to apply for a fencing permit to install a fence or complete major fence repairs.
- Building Permit: Complete this form for renovations, remodels, additions or building of any kind. Examples of projects where a building permit is required include: storage sheds larger than than 200 sq. feet for residential property and larger than 120 sq. feet for commercial property, patio covers, gazebos, decks, pergolas, porches, carports and pools.
- Re-roofing Application: Complete this form if you are looking for re-roof installation.
- Homeowner's Plumbing Application: Complete this form before beginning any plumbing jobs.
- Electrical Application: Complete before any electrical work is done at any commercial or residential property.
- Conditional Use Multi-generational House Permit: complete this form to apply for a permit to have an additional living quarters (excluding a kitchen) on the same plot of land.
- Request for Land Development: Complete to apply for a permit to complete a variety of projects. These include: sidewalks, curb cuts, drive pad, alley cut, monitoring wells, excavations (in streets, alleys and or/ easements and worksites), utilities, paving or parking spaces, landscaping (i.e sprinklers, fountains or tree planting). You would also complete this application permit for building a pool along with the additional Building Permit.
- Special Use: Complete to apply for the special use of a property to function as otherwise intended. (Ex. having a professional office in a residential area. Professional offices might include: an attorney's office, real estate office, medical office, counseling office, etc).
- Placement Permit for Accessory Structure: Complete to apply for a permit to build or install an accessory structure. A placement permit should be used to install a storage shed 200 sq. feet or smaller in residential properties and 120 sq. feet or less for commercial properties.
- Preliminary Plat Application: Complete to propose a new subdivision . This requires additional details such as the land to be considered, number of lots to be subdivided, location of utilities, easements, drainage plans, etc.
- Zone District Change Application: Complete to apply for a change in zoning district of property or land parcel.
- Application for Variance: Complete to apply for an exception to codes when the configuration of a lot does not allow you to meet the standards requirements outlined in the code. Contact staff before completion of this form to schedule a review of the lot. Staff will then determine whether the lot meets extraordinary conditions that would cause a peculiar, exceptional or undue hardship on the property owner.
- Site/Drainage Plan Review Checklist: Complete for building applications; preliminary/final plat applications; landscaping permit applications; site grading/drainage permit applications; utilities permit applications and/or paving/parking surface permit applications. For the aforementioned permit applications, this form and the corresponding General Planning Application Form are required for review and processing.